Friday, August 28, 2009

Blueberries

The following was originally posted on Wordpress on August 28, 2009:

Sometime last month I drove up I-84 to the Paupack Berry Farm to pick some blueberries.

Blueberries 38

Despite looking beautiful, the berries this year were slightly bitter. But it was a hot and sunny day and I was glad I went.

After getting a bucket to fill, I had to cross a small wooden bridge that runs over a creek.

Blueberries 2

The berry field is in the middle of the woods.

Blueberries 6

The bushes are planted in rows and each row has a different variety of berry. The ground is very wet and even swampy in some areas.

Blueberries 7

Blueberries 8

Blueberries 23

But thinking of blueberry muffins, blueberry pancakes and blueberry smoothies kept me going!

Blueberries 35

I took a slow walk back to the stand to pay for the berries.

Blueberries 37

Blueberries 5

One of the great things about blueberries is that they are so easy to store. Just pop them in the freezer in baggies and take them out a few minutes before adding them to recipes.  One delicious recipe for blueberry muffins that I can recommend is over at All Recipes called To Die For Blueberry Muffins. Yummy!

After getting home and changing my shoes and socks, I found that some of the flower seeds I'd thrown in the pots on the back porch had bloomed. Since my thumb is definitely not green, this was a big accomplishment for me!

Flower 1

Flower 2

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment